I made yogurt in our instant pot today. I have done this several times. It is really easy to make and we enjoy it more than store bought yogurt!
I like to make my yogurt Greek style and I only use two ingredients:
- 1 gallon of milk (whole, 2%, or skim from a cow or goat)
- 5.3 oz yogurt (any style but it must have live active yogurt cultures. I use Greek yogurt)
Some instant pots have a yogurt setting and some don’t. Ours does not have it. (Come to think of it, you can make your yogurt without an instant pot if you don’t have one).
So, in the method I use:
- add a gallon of milk to my instant pot. I then put the lid on and set it to “keep warm” for 40 minutes.
2. After 40 minutes, I remove the lid.
3. I then set the instant pot to “saute”.
4. I check the temp until it reaches 185℉.
5. I remove the pot from the unit and allow it to cool to below 110℉. (Make sure the unit is cooling while the milk is cooling).
6. Once the milk is cooled to below 110℉, add the yogurt and mix it in.
7. Then put the pot back into the unit and put the lid back on after to allow the culture to take effect.
8. I wrap the unit in blankets and keep it in a warm area (upstairs) for 8 to 10 hours.
9. Once the culture process is done, I jar it and put it in the fridge.
Some ways that you can enjoy this yogurt include mixing in fruit, granola, honey, or chocolate chips. We also use plain yogurt as a replacement for sour cream.
I also use this yogurt to make cream cheese by straining the whey from it to make it more dense. Then mix in garlic, onion, salt, and many other ingredients to make a flavored cream cheese.
The most exciting thing that you can do with your homemade yogurt, though, is make more yogurt! Make yogurt once and you’ll never have to buy yogurt in the store again . Just make more using 5.3 oz of your current batch before it goes bad. Clucking awesome, right?
What do you like to do with your yogurt?
Have a clucking fantastic day!